Parent Insight Series
Our Parent Insight Series is designed to help educate parents on how children are learning in and outside their classrooms at MAC. This includes helpful parenting classes, diversity, equity and inclusion classes to Montessori in the home. Classes are designed to help educate and support parents at each stage of their child's development. Check back often as more classes and workshops are added. See the full brochure and continue reading below.
One of the major areas of focus in the Toddler Community is toilet training. In fact, most Montessori children, and most all MAC children are using the toilet independently by the time they are 2 years old. Join two of our Toddler Lead Teachers for an informative and beneficial presentation on how to help children at home during the process of toilet learning.
During this presentation parents will learn:
- How to know when your child is ready to begin the toilet learning process
- Clothing suggestions to help promote your child's independence
- Tips and tricks to go from pull ups to underwear
- What to do at home and at night to support your child's transition to underwear
Join us for a talk about the future of education with Ulcca Joshi Hansen. Ulcca is an author, TEDx speaker, educational thought leader, and social change advocate with a twenty-year career dedicated to shifting the foundational values and approaches that undergird America's education system. In this talk Ulcca will explore what it means to help young people grow and learn in ways that empower them to build a better future and what that means for parents and educators in their work with young people.
Attendees will explore the following:
- How do we help human beings grow and learn so that they can build a better future?
- Why is this the moment for transforming education?
- How can we cultivate a sense of belonging in our schools, leadership, activism and workplaces?
For more information on Ulcca, please visit educatingpotential.com.
New to choosing a school that is K-8 and want to understand how DPS school choice compares to MAC's process? Join us for a zoom talk about the DPS school choice process with our Upper Division Director and Assistant Head of School, Alicia FaJohn, as she speaks from her prior experience as a school principal. Whether you are planning on staying at MAC or not, we feel it's important to understand how DPS school choice works and how MAC can best support your family in choosing what is best for your children.
This talk is an opportunity to:
- Thoroughly understand the school choice process, purpose and timing
- Ask about how MAC can support your children in the transition of going to Elementary or Middle School at MAC or in DPS
- Understand the benefits of a K-8 program
Feather Berkower, Founder of Parenting Safe Children, published author and speaker, is a licensed clinical social worker and one of the nation’s leading experts in child sexual assault prevention. She has dedicated her career to educating parents and youth professionals on how to make their communities “off limits” to child sexual assault. Feather has trained over 150,000 school children, parents, and youth professionals across the United States.
Feather will go over subjects including:
- Body-safety rules
- Proper caregiver screening and how to invite family and caregivers onto your Prevention Team™
- Children’s age-appropriate sexual behavior vs. concerning behavior
- Spotting signs that someone is grooming a child for abuse, how to address children or adults’ concerning behavior and what to do if the unthinkable happens
For more information on Feather, please visit parentingsafechildren.com.
Join this talk with Kelly Anderson, former Lead Teacher in our Toddler Program and current long-term substitute at MAC. Kelly is a trained facilitator for Parent-Infant and Parent-Toddler classes and she is passionate about helping parents pull through Montessori into the home to help parents mimic the independence children are given in the classroom.
During this talk you'll learn:
- Why it's important to create space at home to promote independence
- Easy ways to "Montessori" your home
- Montessori works and materials that are easy to incorporate into your child's home routine
Connie Miller, certified parenting coach, former teacher, and owner of Rise Parent Coaching, will host a presentation on how to solve five common challenges parents face with play; getting dressed, getting out the door, cleaning up toys, chores, and going to bed without battles.
Rise is a full service personal coaching practice, specializing in teaching and supporting parents in strategies to decrease stress, increase cooperation, while eliminating the need for punishments, rewards, and bribes. The perceived unavoidable cycle of reward, punishments, bribes, yelling, and even ignoring, have little to no lasting effect on behavior. In an attempt to bring order to their homes, everyday parents use these long standing parenting techniques. However, the repetitive nature of these long standing parenting "techniques," is evidence of their ineffective nature, and following through on bribes, rewards, and punishments is often more overwhelming. Instead, Connie teaches play techniques and positive discipline to solve common household challenges.
Learn more about Connie at riseparentcoaching.com.